Saturday, June 29, 2013

[Review] Thinkpad T430u from a Linux perspective

Thinkpad T430u from a Linux perspective


What is he talking about? Versión en espanol (pronto...)
 

Overview


Recently I purchased a new computer. Being a Linux user when you plan to buy a new computer, you really want to know if your hardware is going to work out of the box.

I wanted to buy a computer that will last for a long time and that would have great specs. After long hours of research I came with two options:
  • The Gazelle professional from System 76, mainly because it comes with Ubuntu and everything works great.
  • The Thinkpad T430u from Lenovo, the model with the i7 processor and the nVidia graphic card.
At the end I decided to purchase the Thinkpad because it had some features I found very interesting.
Also, buying the Gazelle would be a little bit difficult because I live in France. So at the end I would end up paying the same price.


Hardware specifications


I have the 86148CU model of the T430u series. It comes with the following features:

  • i7 IvyBridge dual-core processor, 1.9GHz with TurboBoost up to 3.00GHz.
  • Intel 4000HD Graphics.
  • nVidia GeForce 620m 1GB with Optimus Technology
  • 4 GB of RAM
  • 126GB Toshiba SSD

Some other hardware specifications:

  • 3 cell battery, up to 7 hours (I get around 5 hours with TLP installed and using an Ethernet connexion)
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports
  • 1 SD card slot
  • Headphone/Microphone jack
  • Finger print reader
  • HDMI port
  • Mini Display port 




What does that mean exactly? Well, sadly, some hardware is not going to work out of the box.

T430u and Ubuntu



First thing I did after getting my new computer: delete Windows and format the drive. I was happily surprised that I didn't had any problems with UEFI booting. I had so much troubles trying to make Ubuntu boot in a Dell XPS so I was expecting to make change some options in the BIOS but I could boot and install Ubuntu without problems.

During the installation process, I noticed that the UltraNav utility and the keyboard mouse worked really well. All function buttons worked well too.
The only problem, was that I needed to enable the proprietary drivers for WiFi, so I needed a wired connection to do that.


After enabling my WiFi connexion I did almost everything I mention in this entry of my blog. But I had to test some drivers in order to use all my hardware.

Enabling drivers

As I mentioned before, some of the things that comes with the computer aren't working out of the box.

First of all I wanted to test the graphic card that comes installed. As you can see in the image above I can't enable the drivers automatically. This happens with nVidia graphic cards that use Optimus Technology.

After breaking X like 5 times, I ended up finding the Bumblebee project. I installed Bumblebee using a PPA and I was finally able to properly use my graphic card and safe some battery life.
Here is a post about how to install Bumblebee and how to test it. +1 for this amazing project (+Bumblebee Project in Google+).

Second thing I wanted to make sure that was working was my finger print reader. I did some research for the packages I could install to use my finger print reader, and I found the Fingerprint Gui project.
There is a PPA I used and the configuration was very simple. I set it up so when I need to have special permissions I can swipe my finger or put my password. It works pretty well and even if you are using your system with tty1 (Ctrl + Alt + F1) you can still use the finger print reader.


Conclusion


I don't see why I couldn't recommend this computer. Honestly it works better with Linux that my previous machine. Hibernation works well and if I close the lid the computer Suspends. I had some issues enabling drivers but it wasn't very difficult to make my hardware work.

Sadly the model with the i7 processor is discontinued. And I can't say how you can enable the WWAN if you have one. But if you don't want all that fancy stuff you won't run into any problems and you could make everything work.

Thinkpads are popular for being great pieces of hardware, so if you want to invest in a good computer that will last for a long time I would recommend you the Thinkpad T430u. It may be expensive for some people, specially if you don't live in the US but if you can get yourself a computer like this one you won't be disappointed.

Here is a very very very detailed review, but with a Windows perspective.

Did you like this post? Don't forget to add me to your circles in G+ or to follow me on Twitter: @RobertoXMed .

If you can and if you want, don't forget to Donate so I can keep up the good work.

4 comments:

  1. I also have a Lenovo T430u. I had installed Ubuntu 12.04 when I first got it. Everything seemed to be working great for a while. Then I started getting random freezes (Ubuntu would freeze altogether, keyboard and trackpad completely unresponsive). It became a daily thing and only a hard reboot would fix it (only temporarily). I see that this post is from today so I'm guessing you haven't experienced the same issue. I just wanted to post my issue and see if you had run into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Ubuntu 12.04 in my Lenovo or any other distro than Ubuntu 13.04. I am currently running the 64bit version and I don't have any issues. From time to time the ultra-nav doesn't work and I have to restart my machine.
      What distro are you using?

      Delete
  2. Yo tengo la que esta por debajo de la tuya, con un i5 3427u, 8 de ram, 500gb hdd con opción para ssd msata y la mayoría de los controladores o son intel o son realtek así que debería de trabajar sin problema, actualmente la tengo con ubuntu 14.04 pero un compañero tiene una sony con opensuse 13.1 que aparenta trabajar perfecto cosa que me sorprende por que sony siempre se rehusó conmigo a trabajar en linux, así que ando con esa cosquillita de probar opensuse, no me animo al 100 porciento por que ubuntu ya lo tengo a mi gusto con detalles como caps lock o netflix y lo negativo como que parpadea la pantalla al iniciar o que aveces cuando le doy apagar se reinicia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Los problemas que menciones te suceden con Ubuntu me imagino. Sabes que actualmente mi computador usa Arch Linux.
      Tuve un problema similar con el reinicio de mi computador cuando usaba kernels 3.13 que es lo que usa Ubuntu. No he usado openSUSE en este computador pero si puedes instalarlo momentáneamente no veo porqué no puedes intentar algo nuevo.

      Delete